Abuja flooding: Wike orders demolition of structures on water channels

Hamzat Abdulqudus
3 Min Read

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of houses and other structures built on designated water channels in Abuja, warning that political influence would not prevent enforcement.

Wike gave the directive yesterday after inspecting areas affected by Saturday’s flooding in the nation’s capital.

The minister said the FCT Administration would no longer tolerate developments that obstruct waterways, regardless of the owners’ status or political connections.

He disclosed that some of the properties identified as obstructing designated water channels belonged to senators and other influential Nigerians, but insisted that such structures would be removed in the interest of public safety.

Wike directed the FCT Development Control Department to commence enforcement immediately, giving officials until Saturday to demolish structures found to have encroached on designated waterways.

He also warned officials against delaying or frustrating the exercise under any guise.

The minister attributed the flooding to a combination of natural and human factors, including climate change, torrential rainfall, construction on waterways, development in areas not designated for building and inadequate desilting of drainage systems.

He also identified indiscriminate dumping of refuse in drainage channels as a factor worsening flooding, urging residents to take responsibility for keeping waterways free of waste.

According to Wike, although flooding is a natural phenomenon that affects cities globally, including those in developed countries, the government must tackle the human activities that increase the risk within its control.

He said the recent flooding had exposed several locations where buildings had been constructed on channels reserved in the Abuja Master Plan for the passage of water.

The minister maintained that his administration would not allow political considerations to take precedence over public safety and compliance with planning regulations.

Wike further ordered the immediate desilting of identified drainage systems and appealed to residents, traders and other users of public spaces to stop dumping waste into drains.

He also warned against the unauthorised conversion of designated green areas and other spaces in the FCT for development.

The minister clarified that parks and recreational facilities were different from protected green areas, stressing that the administration would continue to enforce the provisions of the Abuja Master Plan.

Wike dismissed attempts to politicise the flooding, saying the incident should instead provide an opportunity for authorities to identify the underlying causes and take measures to prevent a recurrence.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *