Suspected terrorists reportedly invaded a mosque in Kpenya village, Dekara District, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, and abducted worshippers during Jumat prayers on Friday.
The attackers reportedly stormed the Kpenya Mosque in Gidan-Zana at about 2pm and began abducting worshippers.
Women, children and elderly people were among those reportedly taken, while some residents fled into a nearby forest to escape the attackers.
The assailants were also said to have abducted the village head of Ka’ada, who had recently been released after spending time in their captivity, as well as the 90-year-old father of the District Head of Dekara.
The Niger State Police Command confirmed the incident on Saturday, saying an unspecified number of people were abducted during the attack.
The command’s spokesperson, Wasiu Abiodun, said no death had been recorded and that a joint security team had been deployed to the area to assess the situation and rescue the victims.
“On 21 August 2026 at about 4pm, report received indicated that on same date at about 2pm, suspected terrorists invaded Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village via Dekara District, Borgu, and Kpenya mosque and abducted unspecified number of persons during prayers while others escaped into the nearby forest,” Abiodun said.
He added: “However, the developing report indicated that no life was lost, while joint security detachment has been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.”
The police said efforts were ongoing to locate the abducted worshippers and apprehend those responsible for the attack.

