The Kebbi Police Command has confirmed the killing of 33 persons following an attack by suspected bandits on Bui District in Arewa Local Government Area of the state.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Superintendent Bashir Usman, made this known in a statement on Friday in Birnin Kebbi.
Usman said the incident occurred on Wednesday when armed men, suspected to be Lakurawa militants, invaded the district with the intent to rustle cattle.
He said preliminary investigations indicated that the assailants were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
‘During the attack, residents of Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago mobilised in response to the invasion.
‘In the ensuing confrontation, 33 persons lost their lives’, he said.
The police spokesman said the command, in collaboration with the Military and other security agencies, had reinforced security presence in the affected communities.
According to him, additional personnel and operational assets had been deployed, while sustained area domination patrols were ongoing to restore normalcy and prevent further attacks.
He said the command had commiserated with the families of the victims and the entire Arewa community over the tragic incident.
Usman emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements required coordinated security intervention.
He urged the residents to always report suspicious movements and activities through established security channels.
‘Members of the public are advised not to engage armed criminals directly, as such actions pose grave risks to lives and property’, he cautioned.
He added that targeted operations were ongoing to track down and apprehend the perpetrators, as well as strengthen early warning mechanisms in vulnerable communities across the state.
The PPRO urged the residents to contact the Command through its control room numbers: 08038797644, 09015888578 in case of emergency.
