Colleagues, fans rally support for Ogogo’s cancer battle

Hamzat Abdulqudus
7 Min Read

For more than four decades, Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has remained a familiar face in Nigerian cinema, earning recognition for his memorable portrayals and enduring contribution to the country’s film industry.

But the 66-year-old actor is now facing a serious health challenge, with his family, colleagues, friends and admirers rallying around him following revelations that he is battling stage-four cancer.

The development came into the public domain after his daughters, Lima and Kira Taiwo, appealed for help in finding medical professionals and facilities capable of reviewing their father’s condition and exploring further treatment options.

In videos shared widely on social media, the sisters disclosed that Hassan had been diagnosed with advanced cancer and said the family was seeking access to specialist medical care.

Lima alleged that some hospitals had declined to continue treating her father, while Kira said doctors at his current hospital had told the family that chemotherapy was no longer an option there.

The sisters clarified that their decision to speak publicly was primarily aimed at reaching medical experts and institutions that might be able to review Hassan’s case, rather than soliciting financial donations.

Their appeals quickly drew responses from colleagues in Nollywood and members of the public.

Popular actor Femi Adebayo, in a post on X on Monday, urged Nigerians to assist the family in finding medical professionals and facilities that could assess Hassan’s medical records and advise on available treatment options.

“Please let’s rally around our beloved Sir Taiwo Hassan, who is currently facing a serious health challenge battling cancer,” he wrote.

Actress Toyin Abraham also joined the mobilisation effort, sharing a video of Hassan’s daughters on Instagram and asking anyone able to assist to contact the sisters or her.

“Pls kindly send dm to @kira_taiwo @limataiwo_ or me pls. Anyhow, anyone can help ejoor,” she wrote.ba

Veteran actor Jide Kosoko, who has been involved in efforts to support Hassan and his family, said the appeal had generated offers of assistance from more than 300 people.

According to Kosoko, the offers have come from people proposing both medical and spiritual interventions.

He, however, explained that some of those offering spiritual assistance wanted Hassan brought to them, a request he said was difficult to accommodate because of the actor’s condition and the need to keep him under hospital care.

Kosoko said the difficulty was not a lack of willingness to accept help but the challenge of coordinating the numerous offers without subjecting the seriously ill actor to the risks associated with moving him from one location to another.

“The challenge is simply: Where do we take him to? And how do we move him from the hospital while he is receiving care?” he said.

He appealed to those who had offered assistance not to feel rejected if the family was unable to bring Hassan to them.

“It is extremely difficult to move him from the hospital to different locations at this stage of his treatment, especially considering the large number of people who have offered to help,” he said.

Kosoko urged supporters to continue praying for Hassan and supporting his family, stressing that the family appreciated the widespread concern and goodwill expressed by Nigerians and people around the world.

Nollywood prayers and support

The show of solidarity within Nollywood was further highlighted in a video circulated online on Friday, showing several prominent actors gathered in a hall to pray for Hassan.

Those seen at the prayer session included Kosoko, Fausat Balogun, popularly known as Madam Saje, Yinka Quadri, Rotimi Salami, Mr Latin, Adewale Elesho and Antar Laniyan.

The actors sought Allah’s mercy and divine intervention, praying for strength and the actor’s recovery.

The Ogun State 2027 All Progressives Congress governorship candidate, Solomon Adeola, has also offered assistance to Hassan. Following his intervention, the actor was admitted for immediate treatment.

The large number of medical, traditional and spiritual interventions being proposed has also raised questions about how such offers should be assessed and coordinated.

Some Nigerians have suggested that potentially useful treatment options identified in Hassan’s case should, where medically appropriate and with the family’s consent, be properly documented so that lessons could benefit other patients facing similar illnesses.

Others have questioned whether information being shared privately with Hassan’s family could be made more widely available to families dealing with serious medical conditions.

Doctor and content creator Olusina Ajidahun has cautioned against assuming that reports of hospitals declining to continue treatment necessarily mean that medical professionals have abandoned the actor.

He explained that patients with advanced cancer may be moved to palliative care when chemotherapy or other disease-directed treatments have been exhausted or are no longer considered appropriate.

Palliative care is specialised medical care aimed at relieving pain and other symptoms, reducing stress and improving the quality of life of people living with serious illnesses, as well as supporting their families.

Amid the renewed public attention on Hassan’s condition, an old account concerning the actor’s health has also resurfaced online.

In 2011, Hassan experienced a severe health challenge that left him noticeably slimmer. At the time, speculation about the cause of his illness circulated in parts of the media and online gossip circles.

One particularly damaging claim alleged that the actor had attempted to traffic drugs by swallowing them and that the substances had burst inside his stomach, resulting in his illness.

The allegation, however, was never substantiated.

There is no evidence that Hassan was arrested, interrogated or charged by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency over drug trafficking in connection with the 2011 health crisis.

As the veteran actor undergoes treatment, his family and colleagues have continued to appeal for prayers and support, while stressing the difficulty of moving him between different locations to pursue the numerous interventions being offered.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *