Naval Commander vows to improve Kogi security

Breezynews
3 Min Read

The Commander of Nigerian Navy Ship Lugard, Commodore Adesola Ojo, has assured residents of Kogi State of their safety, saying security agencies are recording major gains against kidnapping and banditry through ‘Operation Accord’.

Ojo gave the assurance on Friday during a visit by the Naval Officers’ Wives Association (NOWA), Kogi Chapter, to the Ministry of Mercy Orphanage Home.

He said that security agencies required actionable intelligence from residents to effectively carry out operations, noting that cooperation from the public had already produced visible results.

‘All that security agencies need from citizens is actionable intelligence to enable us carry out our operations effectively. Residents have been providing useful information, and the results are evident for everyone to see’, he said.

The commander explained that Operation Accord, initiated by the Ministry of Defence about two months ago, had strengthened the fight against criminal activities in the state and neighbouring areas.

‘For the past two months, teams deployed under Operation Accord have been on ground assisting in the fight against kidnappers and bandits. We are winning the war, and all efforts are being made to ensure that lives and property are protected’, he said.

Ojo stressed that security agencies in the state would not negotiate with criminals.

‘The standard in Kogi is clear: we do not negotiate with criminals. The best option for them is to leave the state. Kogi is not a safe haven for bandits’, he said.

He added that beyond securing waterways, the Navy remained committed to the welfare and livelihood of residents.

‘We are not only concerned about security along the water lines; we are also committed to the livelihood and welfare of the people we protect’, he said.

The outreach formed part of NOWA’s activities marking the Valentine season and the commencement of the fasting and Lenten period.

In her remarks, the State Coordinator of NOWA, Mrs Oluranti Ojo, who represented the association’s National President, Mrs Idi Abass, said the visit aligned with its tradition of sharing love with vulnerable groups.

‘When the less privileged feels a sense of belonging, it becomes difficult for criminals to recruit or lure them into crime’, she said.

She commended security agencies for their efforts and expressed confidence that they would sustain the momentum.

Responding, Founder of the orphanage, Mr Daniel Edeh, thanked the association for the gesture and appealed for increased security presence to protect the children.

He urged the three tiers of government to deploy uniformed personnel to safeguard the facility, stressing that additional support was urgently needed to ensure the safety of the children

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *