NFF election: Stakeholders kick against process

Hamzat Abdulqudus
4 Min Read

Uncertainty continues to surround the Nigeria Football Federation’s planned elective congress on September 27, with stakeholders calling for reforms to the electoral process before the polls.

NFF president Ibrahim Gusau, who was elected at the federation’s elective congress in Benin City in September 2022, is seeking a second term amid mounting criticism of his administration.

The Super Eagles’ failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the Super Falcons’ inability to secure a place at the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup have further intensified calls for changes within the federation.

Former Nigeria Premier Football League chairman Rumson Baribote questioned the credibility of the current electoral arrangement, arguing that it gives state football associations disproportionate influence over other federating units.

Baribote said the election should not proceed while unresolved legal and structural issues surrounding the 2022 polls remained outstanding.

“The NFF election cannot stand because there is a matter before the court. If you have not resolved the issues around the election in 2022, will you be talking about another election? Those amendments need to be addressed,” he told The PUNCH.

He called on the National Sports Commission to engage FIFA on the need for reforms, arguing that all recognised federating units should have equal voting strength.

Baribote said referees, players, coaches and other football stakeholders had representation across the country, similar to state football associations, and questioned why the latter should enjoy greater voting power.

“The best bet is to give all the federating units an equal number of votes,” he said.

Former international and chairman of the Advocacy for Nigeria Football Reforms Initiative, Harrison Jalla, also urged government intervention, claiming that the electoral process was already before the courts.

Jalla cited pending cases at the Court of Appeal and Federal High Court, including Suit No. CA/ABJ/CV/1120/2026 and Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/1755/2026, as part of the legal issues surrounding the election.

He criticised the influence of state football association chairmen in the federation, arguing that their dominance had hindered the development of Nigerian football.

Jalla urged the Federal Government and relevant agencies to intervene in what he described as an administrative crisis and entrenched corruption within the sport.

Meanwhile, reports indicate that the National Sports Commission is seeking President Bola Tinubu’s approval to halt the election and establish a normalisation committee to oversee reforms within the federation.

However, a member of the Gusau-led NFF board dismissed reports that the election had been cancelled, insisting that the process remained on course.

“It is all rumours, there is nothing like that and there is no such thing as a threat of FIFA ban,” the board member said.

The official added that NSC chairman Shehu Dikko was familiar with the NFF statutes and would be expected to act within the rules governing the federation.

With the September 27 date approaching, the competing positions have left the status of the election uncertain, with reform advocates pushing for changes while the NFF leadership maintains that the electoral process is proceeding as scheduled.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *