Fresh Plateau attack claims 24 lives, leaves several injured

Markces Joshua
5 Min Read
{"source_type":"vicut","data":{"client_key":"aw889s25wozf8s7e","source_type":"vicut","source_platform":"mobile_2","appVersion":"17.4.0","enterFrom":"home","os":"android","product":"vicut","editType":"image_edit","region":"NG","picture_id":"CIYMFUWO-CTR1-UILK-GZJZ-TM8KDOXA4KXQ","pictureId":"CIYMFUWO-CTR1-UILK-GZJZ-TM8KDOXA4KXQ","capability_name":"capcut_photo_editor"},"tiktok_developers_3p_anchor_params":"{"client_key":"aw889s25wozf8s7e","source_type":"vicut","source_platform":"mobile_2","appVersion":"17.4.0","enterFrom":"home","os":"android","product":"vicut","editType":"image_edit","region":"NG","picture_id":"CIYMFUWO-CTR1-UILK-GZJZ-TM8KDOXA4KXQ","pictureId":"CIYMFUWO-CTR1-UILK-GZJZ-TM8KDOXA4KXQ","capability_name":"capcut_photo_editor"}"}

At least 24 people have been killed and several others injured following an attack by gunmen on Binper community in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The attack reportedly began on Monday night and continued into the early hours of Tuesday, with residents alleging that the assailants moved from house to house, attacking people while they slept.

An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said the attackers, who were heavily armed, forced their way into several homes during the assault.

According to him, more than 24 deaths had been confirmed by Tuesday morning, while several residents sustained serious injuries and others were reported missing.

Another resident, John Dalyop, described the attack as devastating and called on security agencies to ensure that those responsible were identified and brought to justice.

He urged the Plateau State and Federal Governments to strengthen security in vulnerable communities across Mangu Local Government Area and other parts of the state.

The Mwaghavul Youth Movement also confirmed the attack, stating that 24 people were killed, while several others sustained injuries. The group said some houses were set ablaze and crops destroyed during the incident.

In a statement issued by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Sunday, the group expressed grief and anger over the attack, saying it had left several families devastated and threatened the livelihoods of residents, many of whom depend on farming.

The group also raised concerns over the recurring attacks on vulnerable communities despite the presence of security operatives in the area.

Meanwhile, women from the Bin-Per community in Ruff, Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area staged a peaceful protest over the killings.

The women marched through the community carrying leaves and mourning the deaths of their husbands, children, relatives and other residents.

One of the protesters, Mrs Ladi Joshua, said the women were devastated by the loss of their loved ones and called on the government to take urgent action to protect communities in the area.

The 24 victims were later laid to rest in a mass burial, while several injured residents continued to receive treatment in hospitals.

President of the Mwaghavul Youth Movement, Kyesmang Jonathan, confirmed during the burial that 24 victims had been buried following the attack.

He described the killings as a painful loss to the community and condemned the continued attacks on innocent residents.

The Plateau State chapter of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, also condemned the attack.

The party’s state secretary, Jude Dakur, described the incident as barbaric, senseless and unacceptable, expressing sorrow over the loss of lives and the destruction of homes, farmlands and other property.

Dakur said the killing of residents, particularly those allegedly attacked while asleep in their homes, was a serious violation of human life and urged authorities to take decisive steps to prevent further attacks.

Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang has directed security agencies to intensify surveillance and patrols in the affected community and other vulnerable areas of Mangu Local Government Area.

The directive followed the attack on Bin-Per community, which also reportedly resulted in the destruction of homes and farmlands.

In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, the governor condemned the attack and described it as a disturbing development capable of undermining efforts to consolidate peace and security across the state.

Meanwhile, United States Congressman Riley Moore has called on the US Department of State not to remove Nigeria from its designation as a Country of Particular Concern, CPC, citing the recent killings in Plateau State.

In a post on X, Moore said the continued violence in Nigeria’s Middle Belt remained a serious concern and argued that the latest attack showed that the security situation had not significantly improved.

He claimed that Christians were continuing to face deadly attacks in the region and urged the US government to maintain pressure on Nigerian authorities.

Nigeria was first designated a Country of Particular Concern by the US State Department in December 2020 over concerns relating to religious freedom.

The designation was later removed in November 2021.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *