Lagos cautions residents over fake emergency calls

Breezynews
4 Min Read

The Lagos State Government has warned residents against making fake emergency calls to its Command and Control Centre, saying the trend continues to undermine rapid responses to genuine emergencies across the state.

Officials issued the warning during the 2026 Ministerial Press Briefing in Ikeja on Monday, part of activities marking seven years of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s administration.

Commissioner for Special Duties, Olugbenga Oyerinde, who addressed journalists and stakeholders at the briefing, said abuse of emergency lines had reached an alarming level.

According to him, millions of calls received were fake or completely unnecessary.

Oyerinde disclosed that 24.15 million calls entered the centre between January 2025 and April 2026, with 16.39 million identified as fake, representing 67.9 per cent.

The commissioner described the statistics as deeply disturbing and unacceptable.

He said: ‘It is disturbing that people call simply to test whether our lines work. Our lines work, but every wasted minute can cost lives’.

He noted that emergency operators often struggle to separate genuine distress from prank calls, adding that delayed responses could worsen fire outbreaks, accidents and medical emergencies.

Oyerinde urged parents, schools and community leaders to educate young people, stressing that emergency communication must be treated as a public safety responsibility.

Also speaking, Femi Kennedy-Giwa, General Manager of the Command and Control Centre, expressed concern over the figures, noting that operators sometimes receive repeated prank calls from single numbers.

According to him, such behaviour affects efficiency and public confidence.

‘Such calls prevent genuine callers from receiving immediate attention. We must do better as residents of Lagos’, he said.

He assured residents that public awareness campaigns would continue statewide.

Meanwhile, Oyerinde said fire outbreaks remained the most common emergencies in 2025, adding that responders successfully saved properties worth N118.32 billion.

He added that 1,924 victims were rescued alive from emergencies, while properties worth N19.72 billion were lost.

He said the figures reflected both challenges and improved response capacity, noting that 1,972 genuine emergencies were recorded in 2025.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that 1,685 of these cases involved fire incidents.

Oyerinde said March recorded the highest number of emergencies, with 210 cases, which he linked to dry weather conditions. August recorded the lowest number, a decline he attributed to heavy rainfall.

According to him, Alimosho recorded the highest number of incidents at 180, followed by Eti-Osa with 156 and Ikeja with 139.

He added that road accidents accounted for 394 incidents, while truck and tanker accidents made up 249 cases.

The commissioner said the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency handled 1,156 emergencies and disclosed that 173 bodies were recovered during operations involving collapsed buildings and flood disasters.

Ship fires, pipeline leakages and medical emergencies were also recorded, with ambulance teams responding to 1,382 medical cases.

He said pre-hospital care services continued to expand across Lagos.

On enforcement, Oyerinde said the Lagos State Safety Commission intensified inspections, with over 2,800 sites facing enforcement actions.

It was also reports that more than 100 businesses were sealed for safety breaches, including restaurants and supermarkets.

He added that construction sites and factories were inspected, while oil facilities, haulage firms and hotels also underwent audits.

According to him, the government procured 62 firefighting vehicles to strengthen emergency response infrastructure.

Oyerinde disclosed that fire stations had been completed in Ebute-Elefun and Ijegun-Egba, while projects in Oworonshoki, Yaba and Ikotun were ongoing.

He reaffirmed the government’s commitment to building a safer Lagos, adding that stronger preparedness remains central to public safety efforts.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *