Home News Education FUTA students protest death of 500-level colleague; victim arrived dead, university says

FUTA students protest death of 500-level colleague; victim arrived dead, university says

5 min read

Students of the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), Ondo State have protested against the sudden death of their 500-level colleague, Ayomide Akeredolu, at the university’s health care facility.

The aggrieved students expressed misgivings about services at the University Health Centre.

Motorists were left stranded for hours on the Akure-Ilesa highway as the students expressed displeasure over the death of their colleague.

Reports had it that the victim, who slumped in his hostel, was rushed to the health centre by his colleagues around 830 p.m. on Thursday.

A student, who spoke with newsmen in Akure, alleged that the victim died at the university health centre due to lack of adequate care.

He alleged that there was no power supply while the victim was being attended to by medical personnel at the health centre.

According to him, “we had to be using our telephone flashlight while doctors were attending to him.

“Also, earlier yesterday, the health centre refused to attend to another student, a former (students’ union) Vice President who was in a critical condition and needed emergency attention because she wasn’t with her identity card.

“The students are expressing their displeasure with a peaceful demonstration. Something urgent needed to be done to upgrade the university’s health care centre”.

In a swift response, the institution, which mourned the sudden death of the student due to “a sudden bout of illness”, said he was brought to the health facility dead.

In a statement, the institution’s Director of Corporate Communication, Adegbenro Adebanjo said that, “from the report put together, the victim slumped in his hostel and all attempts and medical intervention at resuscitation, even at the Health Centre failed, with the doctors recording that he was brought in dead.

“According to the doctor on duty, the student was rushed to the health centre at about 8:50 p.m. on Thursday, 24th August 2023.

“He was brought in dead. Efforts to resuscitate him through cardiopulmonary resuscitation and oxygen therapy proved abortive.

“He was subsequently taken to the UNIMED Teaching Hospital, Akure, by the medical personnel on duty inside the university ambulance.

“Understandably, his friends and colleagues are devastated by the sad development. The management joins them in mourning at this very difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with our students and the bereaved family.

“May the good Lord grant his soul eternal repose and give the family and friends the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

“Students embarked on a protest on Friday due to some perceived misgivings about services at the University Health Centre.

“It is important to point out that the protest was not directly related to the death of the student.

“The representatives of the students, at a meeting with management, called at the behest of the Vice Chancellor, pointed out some lacunae in the process of accessing services at the Health Centre.

“The management, in the course of the meeting, directed that immediate remedial measures be taken to address the lacuna and other issues raised by the students.

“The corrective measures will be reviewed from time to time to ensure that they are being implemented to the letter and to the satisfaction of the students”.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Breezynews
Load More In Education

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

LASTMA’s evolution and quest for public accountability

Founded on 15 July 2000 by the then Governor Bola Tinubu, Lagos State Transport Management…