Adeleke campaign begins headcount of electoral violence victims

Semiloore Ige
3 Min Read

The Imole Campaign Council has commenced a post-election assessment of electoral violence in Osun State, directing its structures across the 30 local government areas to document victims of violence before, during and after the governorship election.

The council said the exercise would identify people who lost their lives, sustained injuries or suffered property damage during the election period.

The move came two days after Governor Ademola Adeleke was declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), after securing 511,067 votes to defeat the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Bola Oyebamiji.

The election was preceded by weeks of political tension and reported violence in parts of the state, including the killing of Accord Party supporter Ajayi Aderogba, popularly known as Rogba, in Esa-Oke in June.

Following the incident, the Imole Campaign Council called for an independent investigation into the killing.

There were also reports of clashes and allegations of politically motivated attacks involving supporters of the major political parties in the build-up to the election.

In a statement issued on Monday and signed by its spokesperson, Pelumi Olajengbesi, the campaign council said the review would cover everyone affected by political violence in the state.

According to the council, its headcount would include those who sustained injuries, families who lost relatives and individuals whose homes or other properties were damaged or destroyed.

It stressed that the exercise would not be limited to supporters of Governor Adeleke or members of the Accord Party.

The council had previously alleged that several Accord Party members and Adeleke supporters were killed, injured or detained during the election campaign.

Among those it had named as allegedly killed were Kolade Eluyera, Ezekiel Olapade, Ajayi Rogba and Timilehin Oni, alongside several others it said were killed or injured.

The campaign council had also alleged that more than 100 of Adeleke’s campaign coordinators and supporters were arrested and detained during the campaign period.

However, in its latest directive, the council said the post-election review would be broader and would document victims regardless of their political affiliation.

The exercise is expected to provide a broader account of the human and material impact of political violence surrounding the Osun governorship election.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *